Pages

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

My ESPN


I found an online survey of 1,822 sports fans (men) conducted on December 15-21, 2010 by Hart Research Associates for ESPN.  In this survey, they asked the men “About how many hours in an average week would you say you watch sports on television?”  These are the results they got:

None
--
1 hour
--
2-3 hours
26%
4 to 5 hours
26%
6 to 10 hours
24%
11 to 15 hours
12%
16 to 20 hours
6%
21 to 25 hours
3%
More than 25 hours
3%

It was interesting to see that all of them watched at least some sports television each week.  And astonishingly, 3% watch more than 25 hours per week.  With the amount of men in this survey, that is approximately 55 men.  Phew, that is a ton of television per week!  I would have to say that some of these men are seriously addicted to ESPN. 
   
Now, I have a small confession to make.  I might have an addiction to a certain cable channel….  and no, it is not ESPN.  I am not someone who can watch sports for hours on end.   

My addiction is… the Food Network.  It is my ESPN. 

I did not have television  in my house growing up.  My mom believed it was nothing but filth and I have to agree with her.  However, since I have been married, I have been dying to have television/cable so I could watch the Food Network.  So…. I recently signed Ryan and I up for DirectTV just so I could have this channel.

I could very easily watch Food Network, every day and all day, but I don’t.  I really don’t have time for that.  I do have a life and I know how to control myself so that I am not a couch potato.  For example, I haven’t watched any shows since Saturday and I probably won’t have any time tonight either.  But just knowing it’s there and I could watch it if I want makes me happy. 

This type of programming is just so enlightening!  Where do you find filth in a cooking show?  Umm… there is none!  It is just a channel where the cooks and bakers of America can unite in their passion of food.  It’s like one big family.  Shows like Iron Chef, Chopped, Cupcake Wars, and Bobby Flay Throwdown just make you want to be a better person! 
        
I seriously cried my eyes out in an episode of Chopped the other night, it was so powerful and moving.  Don’t make fun of me.

What’s funny is that we have 200 other channels as well but I really don’t watch any of them. Just Food Network.  And if I see a show that I want to watch and I won’t be home to watch it or don’t have time…. I just record it on my DVR and watch it later.  I seriously have about 10 shows recorded and just waiting for me to watch one day.  

I love my life.  

1 comment: